The Teaching Assistant Consultant (TAC) Fellows
The Teaching Assistant Consultant (TAC) Fellows Program promotes and facilitates professional development programming for graduate student instructors and postdoctoral scholars.
Goals of the TAC Program include:
- Improving undergraduate education at UC Davis by working closely with graduate student instructors to strengthen teaching practices and enhance learning for all students.
- Supporting the professional growth of UC Davis Teaching Assistants (TAs), Associate Instructors (AIs) and postdoctoral scholars.
- Engaging TAC Fellows in a community of practice that provides meaningful growth experiences that, in turn, increase capacity and support for the broader campus teaching and learning community at UC Davis.
- Encouraging dialogue and collaboration among the TAC Fellows to broaden perspectives about the purposes and practices of higher education beyond individual disciplines and approaches.
- Promoting the development of TAC Fellows as instructors, consultants, and leaders in their teaching and learning communities.
TAC Fellows provide the following services to graduate student instructors and postdoctoral scholars:
- Workshops to enhance teaching effectiveness and improve student learning;
- One-on-one consultations, ranging from general consultations to discuss teaching and learning to Mid-Quarter Inquiries (MQIs). Regardless of the consultation type, one-on-one consultations provide a space for discussing teaching and learning with an experienced peer instructor in a confidential setting.
Apply to become a TAC Fellow
What are the benefits of the fellowship?
- Ongoing learning and professional development
- A quarterly fellowship of $1,500.
- Valuable experiences for a career in college teaching, educational development, and other career paths focused on teaching and learning.
- 2020 - 2021 TACs
Name Department Nazanin Akrami Agricultural & Environmental Chemistry Gwen Chodur Nutritional Biology Samantha Contreras Graduate School of Management Shelley Dykstra Spanish and Portuguese Slande Erole (TAC Coordinator) Political Science Victoria Farrar Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior Nina Fontana Ecology Alicia Garcia Education Liz Giardina English Laura Hernandez-Bassal Civil & Environmental Engineering Julia Houk Education Hannah Nelson Population Biology Michelle Rossi Sociology Peter Torres Linguistics Jenny Wagner Public Health Sciences Jessica Zlotnicki Geography
- 2019 - 2020 TACs
Name Department James Allen Chemical Engineering Justin Carone Sociology Edward Conley Materials Science and Engineering Slande Erole Political Science Nina Fontana Ecology Alicia Garcia Education Hannah Nelson Population Biology Rachel Nickens (TAC Coordinator) Sociology Miguel Novoa History Carlyn Peterson Animal Science Michelle Rossi Sociology Peter Torres Linguistics Justin Virrey Graduate School of Management Jessica Zlotnicki Geography
- 2018 - 2019 TACs
Name Department Arik Davidyan Molecular, Cellular and Integrative Physiology Slande Erole Political Science Sam Fleischer Mathematics Giulia Gall Anthropology McCage Griffiths Political Science Alice Martinic Nutritional Biology Chris Miller Animal Science Rachel Nickens Sociology Miguel Novoa History Carlyn Peterson Animal Science Pablo Robles-Garcia Spanish & Portuguese Derek Rury Economics Sergio Sanchez Education Sarah Silverman (TAC Coordinator) Department of Entomology
- 2017 - 2018 TACs
Name Department Jenny Colmenero English Sam Fleischer Mathematics McCage Griffiths Political Science Sreenidhi Krishnamoorthy Mechanical Engineering Alice Martinic Nutritional Biology Chris Miller Animal Science Lina Reznicek-Parrado Spanish (Linguistics) Laurel Richardson History Marisella Rodriquez (TAC Coordinator) Political Science Derek Rury Economics Sergio Sanchez Education Sarah Silverman Department of Entomology Victoria White Comparative Literature
- 2016 - 2017 TACs
Name Department Lindsay Baltus (TAC Coordinator) English Jenny Colmenero English Joya Cooley Chemistry Eric Jensen Spanish & Portuguese Sreenidhi Krishnamoorthy Mechanical Engineering Shan (Zoe) Lin History Laurel Richardson History Marisella Rodriquez Political Science Sergio Sanchez Education Sarah Silverman Department of Entomology Victoria White Comparative Literature DJ Worley Native American Studies
- 2015 - 2016 TACs
Name Department Lindsay Baltus English Christy Cahill (TAC Coordinator) Political Science Joya Cooley Chemistry Emily Edris Communications Eric Jensen Spanish & Portuguese Jae Wook Jung Economics Amanda Modell Cultural Studies Laurel Richardson History Watumesa Tan Microbiology Dan Villarreal Linguistics DJ Worley Native American Studies
- 2014 - 2015 TACs
Name Department Jamiella Brooks (TAC Coordinator) French Christy Cahill Political Science Emily Edris Communications Jae Wook Jung Economics Amanda Modell Cultural Studies Angadh Nanjangud Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering Tom O’Donnell History Tracy Quan Spanish & Portuguese Tim Shelton Chemistry Susan Talcott Anthropology
The TAC Coordinator (TACC) is an experienced TAC and is the peer lead of the TAC Fellows. The TACC works with Rachel Stumpf Ph.D., (CEE Education Specialist) who coordinates the graduate student educational development portfolio for the CEE's Learning and Teaching team.