Spark Sessions are 15-minute hands-on guided explorations of high-interest topics relevant to university teaching. Spark Sessions are delivered by CEE Specialists with university teaching experience during faculty or teaching-related meetings. Each Spark Session highlights evidence-based teaching techniques faculty can immediately use in their classes to enhance their teaching and increase student learning. Available topics include:
- Creating Transparent Assignments
- Motivating Students
- Active Learning
- Inclusive Teaching Practices and
- Working with International Students
- Anti-Racist Teaching
Spark Sessions are designed to spark dialogue about teaching and serve as a starting point for departmental conversations for faculty around learning and teaching.
Each Spark Session provides the following:
- A short presentation of an evidence-based teaching practice;
- Opportunities for faculty to talk with colleagues about the teaching practice and share their experiences with teaching;
- Examples of how to use the practice in university classes;
- Additional resources and contacts for implementation support
Where can I get more information?
To schedule a Spark Session during your next department meeting or teaching-related meeting, please contact Dr. Patricia Turner, Education Specialist.
When requesting a Spark Session, please provide the following information:
- Department/Unit name
- Primary contact
- Spark Session topic (see list above)
- Description of attendees (eg faculty, administrators, staff, etc)
- Anticipated number of attendees
- Preferred date/time (please provide at least two dates)
Note: Spark Sessions requests should be placed a minimum of 5 business days prior to your desired meeting date.